The Headland Area Chamber of Commerce Director is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. The Director initiates programs, which promote activities to advance the general welfare and prosperity of the Headland area and ensure the business community will prosper and grow.
- The development, execution, and documentation of Chamber projects for the Headland area.
- Oversee fund raising programs with the help of the board of directors and volunteers.
- To develop a plan and timeline of work.
- Work with the Board to develop and present a plan of operation, the annual budget, and the funding process.
- Oversee office procedures and manage overhead costs within the approved budget.
- Represent the community locally, regionally and nationally.
- Work cooperatively on joint projects with the Headland Main Street director.
- Foster a healthy working relationship with the city and county.
- Provide educational opportunities for businesses and community members through Troy University Small Business Development and other sources.
- Communicate effectively the issues confronting business and property owners, public agencies, and community organizations
- Attend Chamber training seminars and retreats.
- Promote the Chamber of Commerce and its members.
- Maintain office services by organizing office operations, routing correspondence and providing information services to members, including a monthly e-newsletter, Facebook and website posts.
- Facilitate membership campaigns working with the Board of Directors and volunteers.
- Survey and address member needs and identify community program needs. Develop and oversee program implementation. Measure program effectiveness. Provide monthly membership updates to the Board.
- Establish and manage a membership retention plan, including invoicing and tracking membership payments.
- Keep the Board of Directors informed by reviewing and analyzing reports, summarizing and presenting information and requests. Plan monthly Board meetings and reports.
- Provide the members of the board of directors, and others as appropriate with the leadership and tools they need to build membership in the Headland Area Chamber of Commerce and to increase available funds.
- Plan regular events with the Board members/committees by identifying, assembling and coordinating requirements, establishing contacts, developing schedules and assignments, promoting events, coordinating mailing lists and setup and breakdown of events.
- Coordinating and promoting ribbon cutting ceremonies for members.
- Work with the Treasurer in maintaining financial accounts and historical financial records. Monitor budgets by comparing and analyzing actual results with plans and forecasts. Prepare financial reports for monthly Board meetings as well as at the request of the President.
- Ensure Chamber’s compliance with Federal, State of Alabama, and local regulations/requirements.
- Coordination, attendance and maintenance of minutes and record keeping at Chamber Board meetings and certain committee meetings.
12.Maintian the membership Kiosk located in the municipal building.
- Market and promote Chamber activities, programs and goals.
- Maintain social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter) and the Chamber web page. Post events on Event and tourism websites.
- Establish networks, maintain a sound working relationship and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Establish and maintain contact log noting new members and leads using Chamber Master. Provide monthly membership updates to the Board.
- Provide business assistance and act as a resource for new and existing local businesses.
- Work with local government, business, and other organizations to encourage economic development in Headland. Enhance the recruitment of new business and assist property owners and Realtors in the marketing of vacant properties.
- Create materials and events to heighten tourism, revitalization efforts, retention and expansion programs, and infrastructure development. Respond to all inquiries
- Learn new systems/software programs to support the Chamber.
- Hire, supervise and train interns and volunteers. Develop and maintain an active volunteer list and assign duties as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College degree preferred. Previous experience in a Chamber of Commerce. (Degree and experience in at least one of the following fields: business, public relations, communications, finance, event planning or related field.)
- Being entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, creative, well organized, self-motivated, and capable of functioning effectively in an independent environment.
- Sound time management skills, leadership skills, interpersonal skills, and a high level of professionalism
- Strong verbal communication skills. This position requires communication with Headland area citizens, business, city government leaders, and area media. Verbal communication duties may include public speaking, fund raising, membership drives, and early morning television interviews, and on location interviews.
- Strong written communication skills. Written communication includes emails, newsletters, brochures, social media posts, letters, and requests for information, quotations or proposals.
- Ability to work with Microsoft Office Suite, Excel Spread sheets, Microsoft Publisher, QuickBooks, Chamber Master, Power Point and others as needed.
- Knowledge of budgeting and record keeping.
- Fund raising experience
- Available to work a flexible schedule for special events, Chamber business meetings and continuing education training.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Biweekly salary of $_____________________. Possibility of annual bonus based upon agreed membership incentive program.
Five paid vacation days, three paid sick days.
Paid holidays as follows: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Day.
DISCLAIMER This Position Description contains information about the Executive Director position and is to be viewed as guidelines only. The Executive Board reserves the right to interpret and administer the provisions of this Position Description as needed. The Board of Directors has the maximum discretion permitted by law to change, modify or delete any provision contained in this Position Description at any time with or without notice. However, oral statements or representations cannot supplement, change or modify the provisions in this Position Description. The guidelines in this Position Description are not intended to in any way create any contractual obligations with respect to employment.